“President Trump’s campaign has not been provided with meaningful access to numerous counting locations to observe the opening of ballots and the counting process, as guaranteed by Michigan law,” said Bill Stepien, Trump’s campaign manager. “We have filed suit today in the Michigan Court of Claims to halt counting until meaningful access has been granted. We also demand to review those ballots which were opened and counted while we did not have meaningful access. President Trump is committed to ensuring that all legal votes are counted in Michigan and everywhere else.”
Michigan’s secretary of state, Jocelyn Benson, said earlier that tens of thousands of votes remain to be counted in the state. She said she expected that the majority of them would be counted by the end of the day.
Speaking at the White House early on Wednesday morning, Trump complained of “fraud” in the election, and said he would go to the Supreme Court to seek to stop the ballot counting. Trump was leading in Michigan at the time.